22 October 2006

Incenting People to Index or Do Tasks

I recently engaged in a dialog with a friend of mine on incenting people to index or tag items for you on the web to create powerful repositories. It expanded to include incenting people to do just about anything.

So I tried out Mechanical Turk to see about the current practices. I quickly found that the incentives aren't there.

I recently got a message from Mechanical Turk documenting my 15 mins of effort and how much that netted me in value returned for my time.

What do you think? Worth it?

>---------- Forwarded message ----------
>From: Mechanical Turk <mturk-noreply@amazon.com >
>Date: 22 Oct 2006 00:03:48 -0700
>Subject: Your Weekly Worker Activity Report
>To: Eric C Mathews
>
>Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

>The following is a summary of activity for your Mechanical Turk account for
>the week ending Oct 21, 2006.
>
>Your HIT activity for this week:
>- Number of HITs accepted: 7
>- Number of HITs returned: 0
>- Number of HITs abandoned: 0
>- Number of HITs submitted: 7
>
>Approvals and payments that occurred this week:
>- Number of HITs approved: 1
>- Number of HITs rejected: 0
>- HIT reward earned: $0.02
>- Total Amount earned this week: $0.02
>
>For more information about your account status and activity, sign in to
>http://mturk.amazon.com/, then view your "Dashboard".
>
>Sincerely,
>Amazon Mechanical Turk
>http://mturk.amazon.com/
>1200 12TH AVE South, SUITE 1200
>SEATTLE, WA 98144-2734 USA
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic . . . Now I have two pennies to use on Amazon. Unfortunately, I don't see these systems taking off unless the incentives change. I realize that Amazon isn't setting the incentives for all the tasks but they are not setting a high bar either.

If anyone has come across a system with better incentives, please let me know. I'd be interested in studying it.

No comments: